Monday, May 17, 2010

a heavy heart

"Obama: This is your crude awakening." reads the sign
Wake up everyone---We're all in the same line
Who's to blame? It's all a game.
My heart is heavy, bad people are to blame
But I am bad, it's right to be sad

Human lives are expendable, they can afford the wrist slaps
Start with the consumer, boycotts get my props
But it's give your money to the next polluter, O commuter

Wrongs don't fix wrongs. Do you ache like I do?
No one knows exactly how much ocean is not blue.
Are the ecological costs worth the economic gain?
My opinion, you'd have to be insane.
I suppose we'll carry on if it's only a spill that kills a krill...or two.


Needless to say, I totally disagree with those who think like the author in this article. We don't understand all the costs involved in disasters like this, whether it's 5,000 or 70,000 barrels a day. Taking the position that the spill is not big is a grave mistake; already, small animals and human lives alike are lost. Profits are the bottom line for big oil companies and the consequences of supporting this system will continue to be unveiled. I could be wrong, there could be suffering if we shut the door to our shorelines and other fossil fuel extractions, but I don't think so. Even so, would it compare to the exponentially increasing havoc we're leveling on our ecosystems? We shall suffer, I mean, we shall see.

derek

No comments:

Post a Comment